Sunday, September 16, 2012

2001-2002

   My efforts in the early days, while still in college, had me concentrating on line over shape. I suppose this is a natural way for a beginning illustrator to approach the work. This is a distinct difference between the painter and the illustrator...at least at the start.

  This was also a period of 'trying everything'. It would still be a couple of years before I settled on character design as my focus.

  My mentor, Abe Echevarria, asked me to come up with some designs for a logo. This logo would be used for the Graphics Research Group...essentially a loose-knit animation program. One of the key points is that he wanted to see something that had the same feeling as the animated broom in the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

 Thinking of the strands of the brook, I came up with these.





   I probably did a set of 6-8 ideas, but these were the ones I went on to ink. The design needed to have a feeling of motion, as in animated. Computer technology wasn't as advanced as it is now, so the limitations of resolution and printing also came into play. It had to be something that could easily be reproduced.

  We settled on the top two for the next step of color comp.

 As you can see, the wave worked much better into the confines of the overall layout. The scans on this blog are all that remain of the original file, hence the waviness in the picture, but you get the idea.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment