Thursday, September 20, 2012

2004-2005

  Not every year is a successful one.

  I think that it's important to talk about those times when life's requirements get in the way of creating Art.

  Before that discussion though, I'll post the few pieces I could find from these years.

                                                              The Rabbit Gladiator

     This character was drawn to about 14 inches tall. Quite large for me as I had for many years created work that was only about 4-8 inches tall. Working large, however, forces one to think a great deal more on spacial and line quality. Like most of my work though, this is slightly negated by the non-photo blue pencil.

Using soft color colored pencils allows one to stay loose with the sketch so that when the heavier linework comes, you can chase the shape, without sacrificing time to 'get it right'.

During the period of 2004-2005 I switched from pencil to ballpoint pen in my sketchbooks. The pen is unforgiving as it doesn't allow erasing. It takes me about 8 months on average to fill up a 6x6 sketchbook, drawing 1-3 inch roughs. This however is excellent training for learning to draw loose.

Even now in 2012, I don't erase the sketch layer and generally find myself less likely to erase a finished line. That's the difference between something that is raw and exciting vs. stiff and boring.

After you have filled a few sketchbooks. you'll also be faster...a trait that can only help getting finished work completed within the deadline.



  Also found were the original pencils from the Tatyana and Zink digitally painted work that was completed in  2012. here is an example of how a good idea can take a while to reach fruition. While I am prone to tossing out old sketchbooks and work that no longer satisfies, these stayed with me.

One thing on that tossing bit is that I feel strongly about the need to let things go to the wastebin, when we have either technically or mentally surpassed the work. I'm no hoarder and the weight of carrying a lot of paper can get a bit daunting. Also, as a commercial artist you will be expected to give up the child when the deadline is due. Best to start getting into that idea early on. Let it go and then let the world decide where the art fits in the grand scheme of things.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment